Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Summer of Weeding!

We've had a hard time keeping up with the weeds around our place this year.  We were late spraying (not a good thing around here) and I just haven't been able to physically weed everything that needs weeding.  Our poor garden spot has been the worse.  We didn't plant anything this year (harvesting a garden and having a newborn wasn't something I wanted to attempt) but we did successfully grow a nice garden patch of weeds!  Unfortunately, no one around here has been too excited about taking care of all those weeds (and I don't blame any of them).  So, it was time to do some major bribing....

Legos!

That one simple word kicked my oldest boy into gear and he spent a day (along with Dallin's "help") weeding the garden spot.  He worked long and hard and by the end of the day it was mostly weed free.





 (later in the day...I never made it out to take a finished picture, but trust me, he did a great job!)

He was quite proud of his accomplishment and very happy about the legos he earned for his hard work.  He was also very disgusted when about two weeks later, the garden was full of weeds again!  Since then, he and Lydia have spent most mornings the last two weeks getting up early (to beat the heat) and weeding all the different areas that needed weeding (keep in mind we have a VERY large yard with lots of areas to weed).  They have both worked hard and were so excited when they finally each earned a lego set for all their hard work.  Normally, I wouldn't feel the need to bribe my children for doing chores.  However, weeding really has been one of those chores that just wasn't getting done and was WELL WORTH doing a little bribery for!  Now hopefully my morning spent spraying the small stuff and preening will help keep things at bay for a little while.  If not, well, there's lots more legos on their wish lists.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, what hard workers they are. I'm so proud of my fantastic, wonderful grand kids. They are so lucky to have such great parents who are teaching them the value of "hard work". There is nothing wrong with a little bribery now and then either... Your yard is beautiful too, I might add. You have your hands full just keeping up on it even when your not pregnant. I love your fence. We are thinking of putting in some along the front of the house. I'm not sure how it will hold up to our cattle/horses though.
    I love you guys!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete