Monday, March 25, 2013

Round One of Renovations

Wow, it's been a while!

First off, I guess the biggest news (since our big announcement in January) is we found out last week that we aren't very good at patterns after all.  Baby number five is most definitely a BOY!  I really wasn't surprised myself, but most comments I have gotten are of surprise since we has such a nice little pattern going on before and surely it would be a girl.  But boy are we excited for another little BOY to join our family (well, except for Amy...she was a little upset but has since accepted it ;)

Speaking of pregnancy, Greg has decided that this needs to be our last baby.  Most pregnant women have strange cravings and typical nesting instincts.  Me?  I have the urge to start major renovation projects!  He doesn't think our house can handle another renovation so no more babies ;) We'll see how that works out.

When I was pregnant with Dallin we remodeled the kitchen.  BEST DECISION EVER!  A kitchen is a tough reno since it's the heart of the home.  I though doing dishes in my bathtub was a major pain and I was so happy when it was all done.  I think the last month and a half have been so much worse than the kitchen reno was.  I'm not sure if I'm just not remembering right, but WOW, I feel like this renovation has been so long and frustrating.  But very much worth it! (now that it's mostly done)

So, let's start with our first crazy project....

A new office!
We've always had an office next to our small laundry room close to our kitchen.  For years I've dreamed of a larger laundry room and knew it was possible if I could combine the two rooms.  But in order to do that, we needed to move our office.  We had a nice large bedroom right off our front door, and it seemed like the perfect place to move our office too.  The convenience of having it so close to the front door is what sold my idea to Greg.  He really liked the idea of being able to use it to meet with people without having to take them through our house.  Selling my ideas to Greg is probably the most difficult part of the whole renovation...well, that and convincing my mother to come help me do it all! (Have I mentioned I have the best mom in the whole world who is amazing when it comes to these kinds of things?)
We also felt like it was a good time to move Amy downstairs with Lydia and give-up her bedroom for the plan.  So, here's what the room looked like after it had been cleared out and was ready to be converted...

I loved that blue paint...


After painting, putting down a new floor, moving the old office cabinets into the new space, and building a new desktop, we had ourselves a new office!

Of course we had to move the canvas prints into the new space.  They actually work perfect in there.  It's probably now Greg's favorite room in the house.
Also, notice Amy?  The kids love this new little desk space we added just for them.

I love my new shelves and new french door!!!

We also added a little sewing corner for Lydia (I say Lydia because she's already a better seamstress than I am!)  I also love having a closet in the office now because it's hiding all my JUNK!

For us, it was well worth giving up a bedroom for.  We are loving our new space and glad it's done.  And of course once I got the office moved, I couldn't just stop there....stay tuned for our laundry/mud room makeover!

*new paint color is "Amazing Grey" from Sherwin Williams

1 comment:

  1. The door looks amazing. Sorry how hard it was to remove the paper from the glass. They said it would be simple. Amy cracks me up and Wyatt's help installing the floor was priceless. You aren't kidding when you said he found his nitch. I do think moving your office was a wise choice. Especially since you have an "unfinished" bedroom the same size, right below it that you can finish later. Love your wall color and curtans. I love helping you.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete