Monday, July 2, 2012

The Challenge to Become

I read this statement today in the July 2012 Ensign article, "Understanding Our Covenants With God", and thought I would share:

"The final Judgement is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts--what we have done," taught Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.  "It is an acknowledgment of the final effects of our acts and thoughts--what we have become.  It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions.  The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become."

This statement comes from a talk, "The Challenge to Become,"  given by Elder Oaks found here.  Wonderful talk!

I don't know about the rest of you, but my life consists of To Do Lists.  Each day I find myself, especially as a mother of young children, just going through the motions and trying to keep on top of the responsibilities that I have.  Add in the things I want to do, the things that I would like to do, and the things I KNOW I should be doing that I'm not, and I sometimes feel like I'm in over my head!  It's easy to think that as long as I'm just DOING...I will be fine.  But over time I do realize that just doing isn't enough.    The CHALLENGE TO BECOME is just that...a challenge! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful you still have a blog. I know it's a personal journal for you, but for those who read it, like me, it is so much more. You are such an inspiration and I'm glad I get to "follow" your journeys, trials, and triumphs, as well as your wisdom and thoughts. So, Thank You for taking the time to jot down your life and memories :)

    ReplyDelete