SPOILER ALERT: Don't let your youngins read this :)
I wanted to document this because I know Lydia will appreciate it someday.
About a month ago, she lost a tooth and the tooth fairy completely forgot to visit, a first for us. The next morning she came to me and was shocked that the tooth fairy hadn't come. I decided that it was probably time for my nine year old to finally learn the truth so I told her that sometimes the tooth fairy gets tired and falls asleep before she remembers to leave money...hint hint. Lydia was shocked.
"You mean, YOU'RE the tooth fairy?! But what do you do with all those teeth?!"
I explained that I wasn't the tooth fairy for everyone, just my kids (although I'm flattered she thinks I could be that amazing ;). She wanted to know why so I explained that when you are little, it's fun to believe in things like that, so parents pretend about some things so that their kids can believe. I figured it was a good time to break the news about Santa (because I'm honestly surprised she hasn't figured it out by now) so I asked her if she could think of anything else that might not be real. She didn't even hesitate,
"You mean, like the Easter Bunny?"
"yep, can you think of anything else?"
She paused, thinking,
"Well, I KNOW Santa is real!"
And that's where our conversation ended. I think it's great that she still believes!!
No comments:
Post a Comment